Thursday 30 October 2008

Greek Confusion!

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this entry at all, since I'm big-time confused and rather nervous about my big Greek-exam tomorrow morning!
I am happy to say I have suffered only minor headaches the last few days - YES!! - and I am more than grateful for every moment I'm not in pain any more!

While I wasn't 100% effective yesterday, today has been completely focused on Greek with only minor breaks in between. And yet I am totally confused now!
I think this is the first exam where I have been so completely insecure about what is going on, what will be expected of me, what level the exam will be on and how I will be doing! I usually have a pretty good "feel" for written exams, but this time I'm clueless.

Our teacher assured us yesterday, at the last lecture, that the exam was pretty "kind" - he want to test us on the basics, but will skip the more difficult exceptions. I like that, I think it's reasonable and sound and good in any way ... but I can't help but not trust his statement completely. I have felt before as well, that he doesn't want to "scare" us that things will be too heavy, so he keeps telling us it's no big deal, it's not that difficult, it's not so hard to understand etc. when in fact it's really complicated. And now I can't help worrying that the exam will be the same ...

I also feel very insecure about my own knowledge and how prepared I am! I am the first to admit that Greek has come fairly easy for me, I "get the system" of the language, and even though I've missed a whole bunch of lectures during this course, I have managed to pick it up again, and I have never felt really lost, like I did the first time I took Hebrew. And that's good ... but on the other hand, I feel like I'm mixing everything together, like I know the stuff when I can look it up, but I'll never know it by heart ...
All very confusing!

I know there's nothing I can do about it, except try to get as much time for studying as possible and hope for the best - but it still bothers me that I feel so confused about all this.

There's a rumour going around we'll have a true winter storm during the night, so I'll probably have to get up even earlier than usual tomorrow, to check up on the trains! I usually want to get in a little early for exams, but if there's a chance the trains will be delayed or even cancelled, I have to get up in time to check it properly! I usually set my alarm to 3.50 a.m. ... now I'm thinking at least 3.30 ... There are regular trains in the morning, but if the weather starts causing trouble, there's no telling what will happen to the trains ... I've been checking them tonight, and there are no delays yet - but a lot can happen between now and 7 a.m. tomorrow morning!

I'll try to run through some more verb forms tonight before getting at least a few hours sleep.
Wish me luck tomorrow, will you?! :)
(And Good Luck to Lena too, she's having a New Testament exam in the room next to where we're taking Greek! :) )

No comments: