Monday 7 September 2009

Week 1, Day 1!

Even though I spent quite a few hours at Uni last week, my semester really started today. Last week was mostly practical meetings and trying to figure out what/where/when/how this semester will turn out.

This morning I did some cleaning up in a messy kitchen, before going to Uni around lunch. We had the first of about seven or 8 optional lectures on thesis-writing today. I have attended this lecture-series before, last fall, but you get a lot of tips and hints and the guy running it is really great, so I figured I'd go this semester as well.
It worked out really well, we were 8 other students there, but I didn't know many of them before. Despite that, I could actually be "active", I contributed to at least one discussion, and that feels really fantastic!! I still have a great long way to go before handling seminars and discussion groups in a good way, but at least I'm getting better - and that's something, right?! :)
I have come to realize that when it comes to "personal" things, like practical matters or personal viewpoints, I can speak up and take part in the discussion, but when it comes to pure knowledge - as in opposition seminars, where you have to discuss and comment on factual matters - I haven't come as far. I always feel inferior in those situations, and feel like everybody else knows so much more than me, so I won't make a fool out of myself in saying something and sounding like an idiot!
I really need to work on that during this semester, because I will be attending the post-graduate seminars, and I don't think I can get away with not saying anything there ... *GULP!*

Anyway, the lecture was really good, and I ended up talking to a couple of girls afterwards as well, one of whom I haven't really spoken to before, so that feels really good! :)

I was quite tired when I got home, but I have continued cleaning a little bit and also cooked, so at least I'll have dinner for ... probably the entire week!

Tomorrow will hopefully be a full-Uni-day, as I really have to dig in deep now in order to get this semester to work out in a decent way.

I hope you all had a great start of the week! :)

No comments: