Saturday 10 January 2009

Present And Future!

Wow, I think I've actually caught up on my blogging now! Not bad, huh?! :)

This post will let you know what I am up to right now and what lies ahead - since I have a few tough weeks coming up.
Right now I'm writing on the final Greek exam, which is a report on Gal. 3:14-29. I love this form of exams, we are to do an in depth analysis of the text, translate it with a linguistic commentary and then look at what the text says, it's historic meaning in context, it's reception history, what it might mean today etc. That is precisely what I enjoy doing, and what I want to continue doing pretty much forever ... well almost anyway! I certainly don't object to the task, even though it feels a little heavy for a rather short course on basic level. The problem is time!
Right now I suffer a cold, I get pretty high fever at times, my head feels like it's made out of cotton balls and I'm constantly tired - which isn't a good concept for working 24/7! On top of that, things are so intense right now, that I have to stress like an idiot if I'm going to get it done!

On Monday and Tuesday I have the mentor education, and I don't think I have fully grasped that yet! I really want to be a mentor and do a good job of it, but at the same time I'm very anxious and almost filled with panic about it. It's definitely coming a lot closer now too, making the anxiety levels even higher. We're also not taking the education at our Department, because the mentors from the Theology Department will be together with all the mentors of the Faculty ... so I don't even know where I'm supposed to be on Monday morning! *gulp*
Everyone around me is really wonderful and encourages me and ensures me that I'm going to be a fine mentor, and I really, really appreciate that. Wish I could be so sure myself though ...

On Wednesday we have the last Greek lecture, and on Wednesday and Thursday I have to complete my report, pretty much living in the Department library! The deadline is really noon on Friday, but I really would like to go to a seminar on Friday morning. It's the essay seminar I should have gone to, had I finished my essay, and even though I'm not required to go now, a friend of mine will have her essay up for opposition then, and I'd really love to be there. I have been interested in what she's been writing about since I first heard about it, so it would be great if I could be there. But then I have to complete my report by Thursday night.

I don't have anything major planned for that weekend, yet, but on Monday January 19 it starts again! The Hebrew course has its introduction then, and I am expected to be there, introduce myself and suggest a time and place for the first mentor meeting then. That night, there's a dinner at my Greek teacher's house, he invited us all for a good-bye dinner! Very nice initiative, especially since he'll be going to the U.S. on the 21st and teach at Yale!

During that week I will have my first mentor meeting - *panic!* - and that Thursday (the 22nd) I have the introduction to all my courses; both essays and both reading courses, so I should really have some intelligent thoughts regarding all that by then ...

So as you can see, I will keep busy ...
I'm annoyed by the fact that I'm sick, because that makes everything seem much harder than it should otherwise. I'm very nervous about a lot of things going on right now, but somewhere deep down inside me I still have a fragment of confidence telling me that I have come so far now that I can handle this! Unfortunately I have a hard time reaching those feelings when I'm not feeling so good ... Guess all I can do is try to get rid of the cold as best I can and hope for the best!

Now I am going to read about 70 pages of commentary literature on Gal. 3:14-29 and hope I find something I can use for the report!

Take care, I hope you have a great Saturday evening (and hopefully one that's more exciting than mine! *lol*)!!

No comments: