Tuesday 2 September 2008

Feeling A Little Better!

I have survived Day #2 of Green studies as well, and truth be told, I do feel a little better today.
I still have a few issues, that aren't really great, but I'm at least feeling I could get something good from this semester. A lot of things were clarified during this morning's lecture, and I actually feel like I'm "getting it" ... so far anyway!
Naturally, we're still on a very basic level - after all, we've only studied for two days (!), but at least I feel I understand what the teacher says, and I think I make the connections we're supposed to make - so that's good, right?! :)

However, and I know this sounds totally weird, but I do miss Hebrew ... I still have notes from last semester left to retype, hopefully I'll get to that in a day or two, and I have to say I'm looking forward to writing my essay in Old Testament (Hebrew). I still haven't heard from the professor, I had hoped to get a private meeting with him before officially starting (which we'll do on September 9) - since I'm very insecure about it ... but I can't do more than email him, after all, it's up to him to get back to me. He doesn't have scheduled lectures this semester, so I guess he could still be on vacation.

After lectures today we had a "mentor-meeting", the first one I've ever been to. There's a girl who took this course last fall, who is our "mentor", she'll be there to support us, help with questions, study techniques, act as a mediator between the class and the teacher etc. and I think that is a great system. There weren't that many of us there, but I am very happy I could go. This would have been completely unthinkable, probably only two years ago, but now it felt okay, even though I was nervous.
What proved to be a real challenge was an "educational game" we played toward the end of the meeting, which included each and everyone of us standing up at the whiteboard in front of all the others. I know it wasn't really a big thing, it was meant for a little fun - and it was - but for me, it really was a challenge. There's only one girl on this course I know, so I didn't have a lot of comfort in knowing the people around me either.
But I did it, I really did, and it worked out! I think that things like these really proves that I have made the right choices in my life, that this is really what I should do with my life, and that I totally belong in this Department! Almost everyone I study with want to become priests, and all they want to do is complete their studies so they can get to work "for real" ... and I'm the opposite. I like the Department, I like studying - and I'm constantly seeing that I'm coping with and handling things I never ever did before ... and that's gotta count for something, right?! :)

After the meeting I went to a mall a bit outside of town and ran some errands, before going home. I've spent the afternoon studying, and preparing a birthday present for my Dad's partner, as it's her birthday on Friday. I find it difficult to know what to give her, so *fingers crossed* she'll like what I have come up with this time! :)

Studies have worked out tonight, hopefully I won't find out tomorrow that I've done everything completely wrong and backwards, but I don't think so. We were supposed to learn a number of things by heart ... and I'm not sure I can ramble it in my sleep, but I have a fairly good idea of it - and we were also supposed to translate 4 sentences - and that went really well. I'm actually amazed by it myself, I just looked at the first word, recognizing the form - that's a verb, in that particular form, that's a noun ... and voilà - I had a translation! *lol*
I definitely don't think it's gonna be that easy in the future, but at least I think I've figured out the basics now. Provided of course, I haven't gotten it all wrong! :)

Now, I'm gonna try to wind down a little, watching a DVD (probably Stargate - I tried watching Stargate: Atlantis today, when I was working on the birthday present, as I have just gotten the first season, but it's such a great show, I really feel I need to devote 100% of my attention to these new episodes, and I can't do that now, so I guess I'll stick with good ol' SG-1!), and hopefully be able to get at least 4-5 hours sleep .... :)

Take care!

---------------------------------------
My Life At The Moment!
Currently reading: Trying to work my way through Greek sentences! *yay*
Currently watching: Stargate: Atlantis ("Rising")
Currently listening to: Nothing
My Plans for tomorrow: NT-lectures, studies at Uni, meeting Lena - *yay* - more studies ...

3 comments:

The Darkest Night said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Darkest Night said...

happy to hear day 2 was better! :)

That mentor-system sounds great...sure wish we had had that too...

Good luck with the birthday present - and i'm SURE she'll love it! :) *hugs*

Jessica said...

Thanks!
Yeah, it sounds really great! We're supposed to have weekly meetings, and I'm sure that's gonna help a lot!

Hope to catch you online soon!
*hugs*