Monday 1 September 2008

Day #1 Complete!

Well, apparently I have survived my first day this semester - even though right now it hardly feels that way. Well, maybe not so bad ...
I had the introduction at 10 this morning, and I met a few people I knew at the Department which was really nice! It's such a vast difference now, from what it was some two years ago ... even though I'm not at all a social butterfly, and I feel awkward and anxious some of time, I actually do feel like I belong there, which is a major step forward for me!

Regarding the course ... well, I don't really know what to say. I guess it was some things good and some things bad - but I did run into a lot of unexpected stuff, on a many levels - and most of them were not pleasant surprises, so to speak. Since this is a public blog, I will not go into detail, I don't really feel comfortable doing that here, but I have felt a little bit like I've been riding an insane roller coaster most of the day ...

After lectures I got to spend some time with Lena - yay! - and we've decided on regular study dates a few times a week. Even though we're not taking the same courses this semester *sob* it doesn't mean we can't study together - and that feels really great!
I also went to talk to "CSN" - and I think I've kind of sorted out my financial situation, if things work the way they say they should work ... *little sigh* Anyway, I'm hoping I can get my money in a few weeks at least.

Then I went home, did some grocery shopping, made dinner, wrote in my diary - and when I looked at my watch it was after FIVE ... actually close to 5.30!! *PANIC*
Since we had to review basic Swedish grammar, learn the entire Greek alphabet and were supposed to be able to actually read sentences in Greek ... for tomorrow morning ... 8 a.m.
I have been studying pretty much ever since then - with a few breaks - and I've retyped my lecture notes, I'm fairly sure I know at least most of the alphabet, I worked through a paper with some sentences we got today (but they were sort of 'cheating', so I'm not sure they should count). I did try to read some words in Greek ... didn't have much success at all. I didn't feel I quite got the pronounciation of the letters today - at least not to the point where I feel I can pronounce three-syllable-words!!

Since today was very confusing and I don't really know how I feel about everything, I can't help but feel rather anxious about tomorrow. I feel like I don't know what to expect at all, if I'm prepared enough, or how things will turn out - and I cope badly with that sort of insecurity. I know there's not much I can do about it now, I just have to make the best of it I can, and hope things work out ... but I do have a hard time relaxing.
Since I probably have to get up before 4 a.m. tomorrow - as I need major diary-time right now - I should think about winding down, if I'm going to get at least a few hours sleep ... but I want to look through some stuff again, before putting the books aside ...

While I'm not feeling the best tonight - certain aspects of today really have been good, so I guess I should try to hang on to them as much as I can, right?! :)

---------------------------------------
My Life At The Moment!
Currently reading: God knows ... New Testament Greek Letters perhaps?
Currently watching: I think I did get a glimpse of Stargate SG-1 (season 8) while having dinner.
Currently listening to: Nothing
My Plans for tomorrow: NT-lectures, mentor-meeting, studies, errands ... more studies ...

4 comments:

The Darkest Night said...

sorry I haven't commented in a while *oops*

Just wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK on your studies! I hope this semester will be great for you! *hugs*

Jessica said...

Hi! Good to see you again! :)
(and no problem!)
THANKS for wishing me luck ... things started out kinda hairy, but I'm hoping it will work out eventually!
*hugs*

The Darkest Night said...

I'm sure you'll do great!! :)

hope to catch you online some day soon...*hugs*

Jessica said...

*thanks*

I hope so too! :)
*hugs*